Highland Wool CIC has been formed as a Community Interest Company to support a sustainable wool industry in Scotland.
We will do this through:
- Creating industry related infrastructure – to include a processing facility (mill) in the Highlands.
- Building community among those supplying wool (farmers and crofters), those working with wool (artists, crafters, manufacturers), and those using wool products (the public).
- Developing a range of sustainable wool products for sale to the public, and increasing appreciation for fully provenanced “100% Made in Scotland” branded wool products.
Further to our mission, we will also engage in activities that:
- Support individuals or groups teaching traditional and modern wool-working crafts, in order to increase the numbers of people working within these crafts for leisure or professional reasons.
- Create employment opportunities across the industry, especially for young people or those persons transitioning out of former employment, and especially as a means of slowing or reversing depopulation in rural areas.
- Promote the economic, social, and environmental relevance of heritage breeds, their ability to thrive in “Less Favoured” areas of Scotland, and the wide variety of sustainable uses for their wool.
- Work with interested farmers and crofters, especially small-scale or heritage breed farmers and crofters, to help improve the quality of their fleeces, and increase the value and uses of their annual wool harvest.
- Utilize sustainable, environmentally friendly technology and processes across all our activities; collaborate with others to develop that technology (for example, water filtration and recycling systems in wool washing cycles) if it doesn’t yet exist.
- Adopt fair trade standards, practice inclusivity across all our activities, and pay a living wage to our employees.
- Work with and support other individuals and groups who share our goals.